Yeah that's right! No more rumors. It's the real thing. Sony is holding a press conference at this very moment to announce their new PlayStation Portable game console, codename NGP (Next Generation Portable).
The console boasts impressive features:
- 5" OLED screen
- 960x544 screen resolution
- Embedded sixaxis feature
- Two analog sticks
- Front and rear camera
- Rear touch pad
- Wifi, 3G, GPS
- "As powerful as the PS3"
- PSP2 games are PS3 compatible
- Backwards compatibility with PSP & PSN titles
Key NGP features:
* Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
* Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
* Dual analog sticks
* Two cameras (front and rear)
* Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
* Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
* Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
* PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
* NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.
The technical specs:
-CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
-External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
-Screen (Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED, Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
-Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
-Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
-Sound Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
-Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
-Location Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
-Keys / Switches PS button
-Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
-Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
-Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
-Right stick, Left stick
-START button, SELECT button
-Volume buttons (+/-)
-Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
-IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
-Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
It has two analog sticks. Analog! Not nubs.
From Sony's liveblog from the PS Meeting:
I doubt that this super hype handheld will not be called PSP2. Or maybe they will. Expect the price will be the same or more expensive than the PS3 itself.We're seeing NGP - dual analogs sticks, 5 inch OLED display, 3G and GPS, front and rear touchpads, electronic compass on 3 axes. Awesome iconography on the back.
"the OLED boasts 4x the resolution of the current PSP"
There are cameras on both the front and rear of the device.
There will be physical media for games, a New Game Media, a flash memory-based card.
"We will also incorporate 3G networks and accessibility in addition to Wi-Fi"
"NGP will be released starting from the holiday season this year"
franchises shown: Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Daze, Killzone, Reality Fighters, Smart As, Broken, LBP, Little Deviants, WipEout, Resistance, and Uncharted (!)
Trophies are clearly shown